Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Rules by Stacey Kade


Disclaimer: I bought this book to read to give it an honest opinion!



The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1)
Author: Stacey Kade
Hardcover
Pages: 416
Published: April 23, 2013
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Overview
1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.

5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules


My Take
I loved the cover! That's what attracted me to the story. Once I read what this book was about, I decided to give it a go. The hardcover copy that I purchased was also autographed too! Yay!

The story takes place in high school and of course it has stereotypes of who's he best in the class and such things as that. It's told from Ariane and Zane's point of view throughout the story which I enjoyed. You can get a real feel for Ariane and Zane are thinking and feeling. Both of them are struggling with things. For instance, Ariane constantly battles to stay under the radar and follows the rules that she is told to. Zane tries his best to be the best for his father and never seems to please him. He also misses his mother. Eventually these two meet under high school drama.

The drama in high is dealing with who's who as your friend, bullying and surviving high school. The drama seems to be coming from Rachel, who's a girl who wants to get everything her way no matter what the consequences are. I really did not like her at all. The story really does not go into that much into action except towards the end of the book, leaving it open for another I believe! We do learn a bit more about Adriane's background which I found fascinating. I felt sorry of what Adriane went through and glad that she learns to stand up for herself in many ways.

Adriane and Zane together are amazing. Their witty remarks off of each other is playful and fun. They just fit nicely together. They seem to understand each other a little bit. Do they continue to be friends or no? Will Zane find out about her secret? Will Adriane end their friendship in order to be safe? What will happen?

I never read that much sci-fi genre but this one sure got my attention. Check it out today! Go pick up this book and give it a try. I could not put it down at all. I look forward to the second book. It just totally different and a bit serious on the side.

Story: B
Cover: A

Good Reads
Twitter
Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment