Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Five Flavors of Dumb Review


Disclaimer: I bought this book to read to give it an honest opinion!





Five Flavors of Dumb

Author: Antony John
Pages:338
Paperback
November 11, 2010
Publisher: Dial

Overview
The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?

Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.


My Take
The book was great. It was fun, honest, and had some clever moments in the story that made me squeal! I could feel Piper's emotions from when she was dealing with the band and with her family. I could identify with Piper on some of the things she goes through when I was in high school. She is such a tough cookie who takes on such a challenge considering she's deaf. I liked that about her. Piper works hard and finds herself speaking up more than she has before. She also makes friends with some of the band members.

This story also covers music and how can a high school band make it to getting known. I loved how the band has its up and downs in various events. It seemed to me it was all about self discovery for each character in this book which I loved. Each character realizes something and brings the whole story together.

I loved how certain types of music is mentioned in the book and that Piper's dad joins in on the music scene just a bit. It gives you an idea how teens relate to music. I loved how Piper learns a bit of the music scene as well. Music had its way in this book for so many people. It made some relate to each other and some did not.

There is a bit of love interest with Piper and another character called Ed which was cute. That all it seemed to me was cute. I liked how Ed finally tells Piper that he's crushing on her big time. It takes guts to tell someone that! It was a cute romance.

If you are looking for something to read then this book is for you! Give it a shot.

Cover: A
Story: B

Facebook
Good Reads Book
Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment